Internet Usage Policy
In response to advances in technology and the changing needs of the community, the Westport Library Association endeavors to develop collections, resources, and services that meet the cultural, informational, recreational, and educational needs of Westport’s community.
The Westport Library supports the American Library Association’s Bill of Rights and Freedom to Read statements and the accompanying interpretations of those documents.
We do not filter Internet access, we have no control over the information accessed through the Internet, and we cannot be held responsible for its content.
As with all library materials, restriction of a child’s access to materials found on the internet is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian. The library requires a completed permission form for each patron under 18 years of age who is unaccompanied by a parent or legal guardian before they may use an internet access computer. The completed permission form will be kept on file at the library and will be valid for all future computer usage by that patron.
Please be aware that some information found on the Internet is of a mature nature and may not be suitable for your children.
Parents or guardians, not the library or its staff, are responsible for the information selected and/or accessed by children.
Computer Usage Rules
- Computer users may not add new software, delete or modify existing software or hardware, or in any way interfere with a library computer’s setup.
- Computer users may not close down or turn off a library computer.
- Please do not bookmark web pages.
- Before you finish your computer session, please do the following; the ongoing privacy and security of your personal information depends on you taking these steps:
- Log out of any web pages and/or email accounts you have signed or logged into.
- Close any open web pages. It is best to close the web browser completely.
- Erase any personal files you may have saved to the desktop.
- Library computers are made available primarily for research and educational needs. Email accounts may be accessed but online game playing must be restricted to educational games.
- Chat rooms are prohibited.
- Criminal use of computers is strictly prohibited.
- Viewing of obscene or pornographic material is prohibited.
- Copyright and licensing laws must be obeyed.
- Patrons under the age of 18 who are unattended by a parent or guardian must have a completed permission form on record before they may use any internet access computer. Such forms can be obtained at the front desk.
- Food and drinks of any kind are prohibited at or near any computer.
- There is a time limit of 30 minutes per internet session per day. If your time is up and another patron is waiting, you must promptly end your session and vacate your seat.
- Please respect other users’ privacy. Patrons may not:
- Read or delete another user’s email.
- Interfere in any way with another user’s computer session.
It is at the discretion of the library staff to determine whether an internet access computer is being misused. If an incident of misuse is so determined, the library staff may suspend the computer privileges of the offending user for a period of time. Appeals to such suspensions may be made in writing, first to the Library Director, and then to the Board of Trustees.
Upcoming EventsView our Event Calendar to find out about everything happening at the library. Open hours, programs, book clubs, concerts, benefits, and more. It’s all listed. Event Calendar >>
Book People Quotes“When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen. But if you have not a pen, I suppose you must scratch any way you can.”by Samuel LoverHandy Andy